Lux Lucis ex Atrum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

portalportal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

definitions of darksider

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nos Llew
Nos Llew

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-30

definitions of darksider Empty
PostSubject: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 3:33 pm

here is a definition of darksider by raven digitalis in his book goth craft

What's a Goth?
Alternative culture is the result of similar energy patterns coming together, kinship being found, and the disassociated once again becoming united. One of these alternaneocultures is the dark art, or "darksider," community, many of whose members consider themselves to be part of the modern Goth subculture.

Goths are observers of life, and tend to be quite introspective. They are watchers, constantly analyzing everyone and everything. Some darksiders are very extroverted and enthusiastic, while the majority are more subdued, calm, and soft-spoken. Most are respectful and well-mannered in their speech and actions. Goths are often quiet and reserved, residing in the background and watching the dance of life go by, anaevery bit of it. Sadness is most definitely permitted and often felt, but is not a constant or unchanged state of mind. Depression is recognized and becomes expressed and channeled through numerous forms of self-expression. Goths are also quite direct when speaking, usually having very genuine personalities.

Often, the quiet and contemplative demeanor is misunderstood. It doesn't mean that there are twisted thoughts going on inside their heads or that they're planning their next violent or magickal attack. There are no dangerous or threatening thoughts running through their minds; they are simply absorbing information and experience, processing it on various levels. Goths are, in fact, some of the kindest, most honest, and most open-minded people anyone will ever meet-darksiders are just a bit more will to embrace depression and introspection.

Darksiders allow themselves the freedom to explore alternative practices and hold views on life that are indeed contrary to present-day mainstream ideology. If no harm is caused, and the self is being explored, then no remorse should be felt simply for beattracted to the arcane.

thats a few bits from a book i think is a must for any darksider i have read it and think its awesome
Back to top Go down
http://moon-rising.webs.com/
Jaska
Admin
Jaska

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 am

I use darksider and lightsider as a reference to John J. *cough* lin's book, and information to a darksider is in one of the other threads Razz
i think everyone to an extent is 'in betweener' but as you know, there are those who are lightsider and 'fluffy', and darksider just shows that yes we do understand the benefits of the dark side to everything, including nature... and we arent afraid of it!
I myself would call myself a darksider (i know, the anti label policy!), because what i feel and do, does lean more to that side. i try to have a balance between the two, but my practice isnt as active as i would like it to be Razz
Back to top Go down
http://jenova36.deviantart.com
Aoife

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:24 pm

I think we should probably make it clear that use of the word 'Goth' here is refering to an attitude or type of personality, not a dress sense or fashion statement. Y'know, however often the two are found to coincide. lol
Back to top Go down
Jaska
Admin
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:17 am

he DID mention about them being quieter and more intellectual Razz
not like you suckers XD
Back to top Go down
Nos Llew
Nos Llew

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 7:38 am

i highly recommend you read the book if your interested in both goth and darksiders purely to understand the true term and meaning of the goth life

goth is a way of life not a fashion statement (as is explained in a part of the book)

i am goth but to stereotype me as a goth wouldn't work as im not morbid and don't wear makeup all the time and don't think of new ways to commit suicide everyday (that is the standard stereotype if you read the book you will find me under casual goth) as in some who is but doesn't need to advertise with clothing or makeup who i am

as for darksiders this is the only reference i have so far seen in any book which is why i only quoted this book
Back to top Go down
Jaska
Admin
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:11 am

I think i picked the book up in ottakers/waterstones/whatever its called a few weeks back. didnt read much into it, but just the title was like - yeaaahh lol unfortunatly im a cheapskate so ill have to steal it from you lol! like i did with that dictionary of demons lol
that was an awsme book.. so old looking with sprizz stains XD (jk)
Back to top Go down
Ook!

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Hmm, labels, labels, labels.

I think that the term 'darksider' is seriously subjective. For example there is a christian fundamentalist nicknamed the 'god warrior' who claims that *anything* that is not in line with her bible is darksided. This is amusing in itself since the bible, like so many religious books, are full of contradictions and texts that can be misread or misinterpreted to suit each person's perspective on life, wether that be good, evil or even just neutral. The irony of it is that the woman in question is so extreme that she is, by her own definitions, darksided although she doesn't know it. LOL!

As for labelling Goths as darksiders and pigeonholing them with specific attributes, give me a break! For crying out loud, why do people always want to compartmentalise, label and categorise to the n'th degree? I have followed Goth music since I was a young teen. Am I all the things described of a Goth? No. So who has the right to say I'm not a Goth? Oh yeah, people who like labelling people. Jeeezus. Sleep

Anyway, coming back to the topic at hand, darksiders? I think this label only matters to the one who is naming someone else because they think that person is 'dark'. Basically anyone could be described as darksided imho. I think the Pope is darksided and yet he is a symbol of light to millions.
Back to top Go down
Jaska
Admin
Jaska

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Good ole' heated discussions Razz

I myself was not refering to goths as being darksiders, i wonder Ook, if you were refering to the book that nosllew quoted from?
Stereotypes and labels are annoying, and sadly, due to the useage of stereotypes since the say, dark ages - there is in fact no getting away from it.
but, with more and more labels flowing out of the social groups these days, i wonder if people would no longer care for labels, as there would be a multitude to choose from - although others may not agree on what you see yourself to be, wich again leads back to the annoyance of labels. a viscious circle.
Quote :
The irony of it is that the woman in question is so extreme that she is, by her own definitions, darksided although she doesn't know it. LOL!
lol - that reminded me of jthm (a magazine for the 'darker' or 'gothic' people, mocking everything else, like taco hell and diet poops) ......such a nice guy Razz
Spoiler:

Back to topic, i really dont think there is any black and white to a 'darksider' but from my definition, it is one that feels more 'in synce' with their darker side, whether they like it or not, whether they know it or not, or see the beauty or accept the good in destruction and tragedy. and this is why I would call myself a darksider. whether i am labeling myself or not doesnt matter to me, but it is something i know and have proven to myself, through my actions and thoughts.

a rose for you all. Razz
Back to top Go down
Nos Llew
Nos Llew

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:34 pm

i myself am a darksider because i see beauty in death and natures raw energy, the night (the best time to do magic IMHO) and alone (being darkened from prying eyes) and blood that which helps us live, without it we would die and with it we live i guess the fact im goth influences some choices i make but i don't make these choices because im goth but because i want to.

and as for labels we all have them we all will use them there is no escaping them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: definitions of darksider   definitions of darksider Empty

Back to top Go down

definitions of darksider
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lux Lucis ex Atrum :: The Occult :: General-
Jump to: